Thursday, February 10, 2005

"Insert Title Here"

I reached my one year anniversary at my job last Wednesday. It occurred to me that this is the first job I've ever worked full time for this long. Most jobs before this were part time or seasonal between semesters. I guess you would call this my first real grown up job. It feels kind of special. The only thing that would make it better would be the additional $2,500 a year I would be earning if I had my bachelor's degree instead of just an associates. When I first started here, I had every intention of going back and finishing my program, especially when I found out that my company gives tuition reimbursement. But as the months go by I'm finding my enthusiasm fading. I don't think I have the motivation to become a student again. This is the longest break I've ever taken. I took one year off in 2001 and worked for a company called Boston Coach taking travel reservations for spoiled executives who can't find their way from their own front door to the airport and back. I started in January got laid off in October due to travel cutbacks after the 9/11 terrorist attacks. It was a blessing in disguise because it made me realize that working in a call center was not a good career path. I drew unemployment for a couple months and then re enrolled at Delaware County Community College. Yes, I got my degree at a community college, screw you. That's a good school and I worked my ass off. DCCC has some of the highest standards you'll find anywhere and when I transferred to Temple University ALL my credits transferred with me. I'm a little sensitive about that, incase you didn't notice.
Anyway, I considered enrolling at St Joe's or Villanova, since they are close to my job. Then I thought I might have more success at one of those schools that cater to working adults with evening and online classes. I would need to get my loans under control first. I owe PHEA a few thousand already. Plus, I was studying secondary education and history before, and I only get my tuition reimbursed if I studying something in the area of business or finance.
No matter what I have to do something. In life you either keep moving forward or you stop. Lately I've had the feeling of slowing down and I don't like it. Gotta keep it moving. Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home