Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Wawa, BAM and sneaker envy...

I was at the market a few days ago and saw some kids skateboarding out front. One of them had on a pair of really cute sneakers. They were wide, with thick laces and colored red white and blue. Being a fan of all shoes near and far, I had to stop and ask him what brand they were and where he purchased them. I think he initially taken back by my compliment. He was a young white guy, probably like 15 years old, so I don’t imagine he often has random Black women coming up to him to compliment his shoes. Anyway, he recovered quickly and told me they are made by Emerica.
The next day I went to my local Wawa and asked one of the cashiers, I’ll just call him Mr Cute Wawa guy, if he was familiar with the brand. I have a minor crush on him and look for any reason to make conversation with him.
A few weeks ago I came in and he was wearing a big belt buckle that said “BAM” as in Viva La Bam, a show on MTV. I’m not a big fan of the show, but I’ve seen it enough times that I was able to chat him up and find out he was into skateboarding.

Mr Cute Wawa guy gave me the address for a website (http://www.ccs.com) and told me I should be able to find the sneakers there.
I should say for the record that I do not skateboard, I can barely stand up on one, but I will be a poser and buy some anyway. I love to watch skateboarding; I respect it as a sport. My son and I attend the XGames when they come to Philly. I bought my son all the Tony Hawk games for Playstation and he mastered them, does all that count?
I never understood why people get so bent out of shape when kids skateboard in Love Park or empty parking lots. It used to irk me in high school when the cops would bust kids for skateboarding behind our school. I think people get upset over the dumbest stuff. I think if I had been born a White guy I'd probably skateboard. I don't think black women are born with the right equilibrium for skateboarding. Or enough coordination to play with hackey sacs; so I have to just watch with envy. *Please note humor
So, my plan is to buy these cute sneaks tomorrow, and as soon as they come in the mail I will take a trip to see Mr Cute Wawa guy. Teehee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home