Monday, April 25, 2005

!!!!

I'm going to try to keep this as short and organized as possible.

SHOCK!! Joe & Betty had a second date, he asked her out this past friday. Betty is certain this was the last date.
They went to see a horror flick, and both were sufficiently scared, so they had fun making fun of themselves afterward. Then they went to play pool at a hall near Joe's house. Betty sucks! She is terrible at pool so the games were pretty one sided. At times it was as if Joe was playing by himself. She tried to keep a positive attitude and keep it playful, but she admitted that she was a little embarrassed at how poorly she played and got the feeling Joe was a little annoyed that the games went on so long.
Betty was feeling all kinds of anxiety because she wasn't (and still isn't sure) how Joe feels about her. She likes him, enjoys his company and would like to keep seeing him. She can't tell how much of a priority sex is for Joe, or how long he will continue asking her out without some sort of physical gratification.
It's a delicate balance. The mind/body ratio. How much he respects her mind versus how much he wants her body. How much a guy likes you versus his sex drive. He may like you, but not enough to keep it in his pants without losing interest. Joe may have enjoyed Betty's company enough to handle 2 dates without getting some, but after this he may decide it's not worth it.
Joe doesn't push the issue, but brings it up in playful ways. At the end of their first date between a series of deep kisses, he kept asking her if she was sure she had to leave. At the end of this one, when they got back to his place after leaving the pool hall they both smelled like smoke. He gave her hug and suggested they take a shower and walked her towards the bathroom. He was not forceful or aggressive, but he made his point crystal clear. She declined in the same playful light manner, borrowing a line from Pirates of the Carribean. "I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request" they both laughed and she made her way to the door.
She stepped into the hallway and took the few steps expecting Joe to follow behind and walk her to her car. It all happened in slow motion. With every step echoing in her head she could sense that Joe was not behind her and her stubborn pride would not allow her to stop or turn around to check. She got to door that leads to the stairs, still no Joe. So she stuck out her chin and walked the rest of the way to her car without looking back. She sat in her car just a minute longer than necessary just incase he was still coming, nothing. She spent the entire ride home assuring herself that she had done the right thing.
I told her she did, but I don't think that made her feel any better. I agree that it takes more than a few dates to get to know someone. I can't imagine sharing something as personal and intimate as sex with someone without some emotion behind it, maybe even love. Why does sex have to a recreational sport? Why can't you take time to get to know a person and have real feelings before you jump into bed?
Hold on, let me pump the brakes. It's not as if there wasn't a time with casual sex was doable for me. Yes, I've done it, but isn't that supposed to get old after while? Bed hoping? That's not even safe, dang. I'm getting older, I can't have a bunch of different dudes seeing my goodies.

Anyway, Betty let her pot simmer overnight, then gave Joe a call on Saturday, just in case she was reading him wrong.
Betty: Hey, what's up? Are you busy?
Joe: Nah, I'm not doing anything. What's up?
Betty: Well, I was just curious about last night.
Joe: Yeah?
Betty: Well, I kind of got the impression that I had been dismissed.
Joe: I thought the same thing about you. You just walked away.
Betty: Oh, I was expecting you to walk me to my car.
Joe: I was going to, but you walked away so fast, I thought you were upset with me.
Betty: Really?
Joe: Yeah, I thought I offended you or something.
Betty: Oh, no. Okay.

Joe: Okay.
Betty: Okay good. I guess I'll talk to you later.
Joe: Yeah. Okay. Bye.
Betty: Bye.

Poor Betty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home