Monday, October 31, 2005

Patiently Waiting...

I have decided that I want something, but I'm not going to tell you what it is. The thing I want is irrelevant right now. The point is, I am learning that patience is a crucial part of maturity. Not just the ability to wait, but the ability to keep a positive attitude while waiting. No tantrums, no pouting, no making everyone around me miserable because I can't have my way right now. I know when I come out of this on the other side I will be that much closer to being a grown up. It's really the journey, not the destination that matters.
Some people say "I can do what I want, I'm grown." I doubt most of those people have any idea what it means to be "grown." Which is why they repeatedly make the same stupid mistakes and find they're lives frustrating and unfulfilled.
Yes, I am of legal age to do whatever I want no -matter how unhealthy, counterproductive, self destructive, selfish, or downright stupid, but itsn't that a pretty foolish way to live? And how can I consider myself a grownup if my judgement isn't any better than when I was a child? I may no longer pout and cry because my mother won't buy me a toy in the mall, but don't I handle life's disappointments with a similar attitude? It may not be over anything as trivial as a toy, but I certainly complain, blow things out of proportion, and waste considerable time feeling sorry for myself and blaming others for my lack of happiness when I don't get what I want or think I deserve.
I am getting better. I have accepted that I am not above correction. I've decided to go past just accepting that I am human and flawed and move to the place where I begin to improve myself. Wouldn't it be sad to turn another year older and still have all the same flaws, vices and shortcomings?

"The end of a matter is better than its beginning, and patience is better than pride. "
-ECC 7:8

That is all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home